You can get pregnant if you have unprotected sex i.e. no contraception, condom fails or you forget to take the pill. It is possible to get pregnant the first time you have sex.
8 signs that may indicate pregnancy:
- Your period is late/has stopped
- Feeling sick or nauseous (at any time of the day)
- Feeling very tired
- Going off certain things, e.g. coffee and fatty foods
- Strange taste in your mouth
- Needing to ‘wee’ more often
- Breast tenderness, tingling and enlargement
- Increased vaginal discharge
A pregnancy test is the best way to know for sure, its quick and simple, don’t be put off.
You can get free pregnancy tests from many services, including community pharmacies and your GP. To find out where you can get a free pregnancy test click here.
The test must be done at the right time, either two weeks after unprotected sex or the first day after the missed menstrual period. Test too early and it might not be an accurate result.
If you are pregnant and unsure or would like to know more about abortions, please visit our advice section